Wednesday, June 4, 2008

You've Been Tagged

Answer the following questions, then tag 3 people to answer them on their blog

1. What was I doing 10 years
June 4 - 1998 - Jonathan was 1 1/2 yrs old and we were 5 months pregnant with Gabby, awaiting her arrival in December. I was reading "The Little Train that Could" to Jonathan everyday, along with "Thomas the Tank Engine" and "Dinosaurs"(we still have those books!), and pushing him on his dolphin swing in our back yard in Parkwood Apartments. We began catching tadpoles, feeding them spinach and releasing the Popeye frogs back into the ecosystem. Danny was working at the Lancaster Inn located in Downtown Houston, Texas on the weekends and going to school at night earning his BA in Finance at Univ of Houston. During the day he took care of Jonathan while I worked at Crespo Elementary School as a Bilingual Teacher... teaching either 4th or 5th grade... This summer, 10 years ago today, I worked for Teach for America helping college grads (very smart ones!) earn their teachers certificates to work in needed schools.

2. What is on my to-do list for today?
6:30am - Mendez girls came over - helped me finish pancakes, make juice, and set table as I woke up Anna and helped her get ready.
7:00am - Anna goes to swim team practice. I drive Danny to work.
8:00am - Anna and I return home and eat breakfast and read D&C 1 with Jonathan, Gabby, Paola, and Mendez girls.
8:00am - 8:45am - tidy up and prepare to leave home again
9:00am - 11:00am - Mendez girls have swim lessons and Gabby and Jonathan have their swim team practice... we read books, color, review math tables, tutor in homework, play in the baby pool, play soccer, and sit and chat with other moms until swimming is over (We need more boys 6yrs old and younger! If your son swims, let me know ASAP!)
11:30am - come home - Mendez girls babysit Jonathan, Gabby, Anna, and Paola when I am ready to go to work. - Childen complete chores and then are allowed to play and watch movie.
4:00pm - come home from work
4:00 - 6:00pm - fold and put away laundry, prepare dinner, tidy up, hang out with kiddos, pick up Danny from work.
6:00 pm - 8:00pm - dinner and cleanup done... family time
8:30pm - kids prepare for bed - prayers and good night kisses.
9:00 - 10:00 - email and call regarding responsibilities for tonight and next day
10:00 and afterwards... blog and hanging out with hubby

3. What are 3 bad habits of mine? This is what my husband said... he really didn't want to share, but I prodded him (I guess that would be #4 bad habit, ha ha!)
a. I say "so" alot when I'm in a conversation... and "you know what I mean?"
b. I can be too tense... or intense... I guess I'm more passionate/serious about life then others and can be annoying that way at times.
c. It appears that I don't like to be feminine... (I actually do, but still don't know how, am hoping my mom and sister will re-teach me in July) I wear my clothes 6 days in a row without washing them. When I shower, sometimes my husband says "Is it date night already?" I guess that means I'm ecologically minded... my mom would say I'm European. Danny thinks its gross... it's not really 6 days... He's exaggerating.

4. Places I have lived
Santiago, Chile - Villanova, Pensylvania - South Hadley, MA - Galveston, TX , Houston, Texas

5. Places I have worked
Wills Eye Hospital in Philadelphia, PA, Lions Eye Bank of Philadelphia, IOPA (Instituto Oftalmológico Profesor Arentsen), Universidad de Chile, University of Texas Medical Branch in Galveston, Texas, Sasparillas in Galveston, Texas, Marcos in Galveston, Texas (the grant money ran out at UTMB, had to pay the bills and still finish the research until the grant money came in again), Crespo Elementary School, Westbury High School, Texas Children's Hospital - Pediatric Oncology/Hematology, Office of Community Projects at the University of Houston, LDS Family Services, Kids Developmental Clinic, and at home.

6. 3 Things people don't know about me
1. In college (Mt. Holyoke College - All woman's college) I played rugby - I was "8 man" in the scrum. I loved tackling in the snow when the dirt was still soft! FUN!!!
2. After college I was the only one of 11 friends that had found employment and a place to live... ('92 was a recession year) and with $50 and an American Express card in my front pocket drove from South Hadley, MA to Galveston Texas in a silver Subaru for 3 days all by myself... When I drove over the bridge to Galveston, started crying my eyes out because the water didn't look AT ALL like the brochure they sent me! Yes, I arrived to work in tears that first day and cried myself to sleep the first month I was in Galveston. Should have seen the place I lived on 14th street! Definately swallowed my silver spoon those 2 years I was in Galveston. I can laugh about it now 16 years later, it helped build character. :)
3. Growing up, my sister couldn't say "Margarita"... so she and my whole family has called me "Git" (pronounced GEET) since Pre-K. Regularly kids would say "Git Git, the parakeet, has smelly feet." and other such entertaining prose. Kept me humble. :)

I am tagging Xavier Ignacio, Carolina, and Amy

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am laughing my head off about Danny asking if it's date night already. That is totally what KC would say to me!